Music, political, and cultural musings from the heart of my bottom...

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Music - Rave: Indie Tunes You Might've Missed

These are some songs from Indie bands that I've never heard on the radio, but I think deserve a listen. I don't listen to radio much anymore so they might get airplay now.

Death Cab for Cutie: The New Year - Blacking Out the Friction
I know this band is getting airplay for their new CD Plans and Ben Gibbard's other project, The Postal Service, had a big hit with Such Great Heights but they have a large back catalog worth a listen. These are 2 of my favorite songs from them. Their songs are intelligent, colorful, and can rock out when they choose to.

Interpol: NYC
Another indie band getting airplay with their new CD, but this song, more mellow than their current hits, is the first one I heard and led me to explore more of their stuff.

The Shins: So Says I
If you've seen Garden State, this is the band whose song can change your life. New Slang and Caring is Creepy, from their release Oh, Inverted World, were featured in this film, but their next release has many great songs on it. Vocals are reminiscient to Weezer, and the music touches on a lot of different styles. So Says I has a great video, featuring penguins going through a Stalin-like revolution.

Mando Diao: God Knows
Great band from Sweden. Has some punk elements, borrows from the Kinks, but is filled with great hooks and harmonies.

My Morning Jacket: One Big Holiday
If you like 70's jam bands such as the Outlaws, Skynard, and the Allman Brothers, you might like this one. Kind of excessive on the vocal reverb, but good overall musicianship.

Rilo Kiley: Portions for Foxes
An LA band fronted by former child actors Jenny Lewis (Troop Beverly Hills, The Wizard) and Blake Sennett (Salute Your Shorts, Boy Meets World). This band ranges from country to hard rock. Thoughtful lyrics, good melodies and hooks.

South: Colours in Waves
A big arena sound mixed with 90's grunge with a sweet sounding vocal over it all.

The Cloud Room: Hey Now Now
Catchy, upbeat song. Like an early 80's New Wave song but built around guitar instead of synth.

More to come...

No comments:

Who Am I?

Arizona, United States